Monday, January 12, 2009

Changing Times, Florence


I'm an American, and a New Yorker at that, so I am all for change - but I was really saddened yesterday to see that this very romantic old store has been turned into just another big name jewelry boutique.

Let's put aside that this was a fur shop, that is a different argument for a different day. The interior of this place was pure 50's Italian, all wood-lined and fixtured. The kind of shop that you just don't see very often anymore, and really remember when you do see it. (Actually, I don't know what exact period this shop was built so if any of our Florence friends know anything about the history of this place we would love to hear.)

The main reason I took this shot was not just the the dramatic lighting, but while I was admiring the store signage this little old lady's head popped around the curtain to take a look at something down the street.

I love the shot the way it is - stoic, silent, elegant, reeking of old world glamour and the little movement in the curtain keeps it from being too stiff. However, if I'd been able to get the shot with the lady's head in the window it would be hanging on my wall at home. The picture, not the little lady's head - did I make that clear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin